The Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office says a member of its Marijuana Eradication Team (C.O.M.M.E.T.) was sickened recently as they were checking out a marijuana growing operation at a residence in the 13500 block of Kenny Creek Road in Branscomb. They’re thinking the Deputy Sheriff was possibly exposed to a chemical that was being used as an insecticide on the marijuana plants. The chemical is one banned or severely restricted by the US Environmental Protection Agency, which can be absorbed through contact with the skin, or inhaled through the respiratory system. Based upon the packaging and labeling of the bottle the pesticide appears to have been brought into the United States illegally from Mexico.
After the service of the search warrant the Deputy started to experience stomach problems and progessively worsened. He was treated at a local area hospital in the days following his exposure and he is still under the care of a physician due his continuing symptoms that are common for exposure to this substance.