Smoke alarms may have helped keep things from getting a whole lot worse with a fire in Eureka this past weekend. Late Saturday night, an extension cord under a couch caught fire in a home on the 2280 block of Ohio St. The people inside were all asleep but were awakened by a working smoke detector and managed to put out the fire themselves and get out of the house. Arriving crews helped out one occupant who had a minor injury. Firefighters were also able to remove the smoke from the residence and help remove ash and debris from the home. Damage to the home is localized to the couch and carpet.