An LA County jury this week awarded $4.4 million to the family of the former co-owner of Arcat Bowl. Donald Vanni died in 2012 of mesothelioma, caused by years of drilling out finger holes in bowling balls that had asbestos inside them. Lost Coast Outpost reports asbestos was used as a filler in plastic Ebonite bowling balls, supplied by Honeywell in the form of discarded brake lining dust. In the 1960’s Honeywell’s Bendix plant was generating 15 tons of asbestos-laden dust each day. But, rather than pay to dispose of it, they sold it as filler for commercial products including bowling balls. Vanni routinely drilled Ebonite balls in a small room, with no protection, for years. Vanni was diagnosed with pericardial mesothelioma in 2012.