Arcata Fire Officials Say CO Detector May Have Saved Lives

Arcata fire officials say lives may have been saved this week by a working carbon monoxide detector. Tuesday evening, crews were dispatched to an alarm activating in an apartment complex in McKinleyville. Upon
arrival, the engine company met with the reporting party and was directed to an
unoccupied apartment that was under renovation. An audible alarm was sounding within
the apartment. Arcata Fire forced entry and quickly identified the alarm to be a carbon
monoxide alarm/detector activation. Carbon monoxide levels inside the apartment were
detected to be far above acceptable levels. Fire personnel shut off all natural gas
service to the apartment and ventilated the affected unit. Occupants of adjacent
apartments were contacted and carbon monoxide was also found in the upstairs
apartment. Ventilation efforts continue throughout the entire apartment complex. Upon
completion of ventilation, carbon monoxide levels were nonexistent. Early notification by
tenants and quick action taken by Arcata Fire personnel eliminated a potential multi
casualty event.