Eureka Fire Blamed On Stove

A fire Wednesday afternoon on the 2300 block of Myrtle Avenue. It happened at about 4pm.
Crews arrived on scene to see grey smoke pushing out a window with no answer
to the door. Firefighters had to get in through an upstairs window.
Once inside, crews found a pot left on the stove, burn on and nobody home.
After securing the appliance, ensuring a fire-safe environment, and completing a
search, crews set up ventilation to rid the apartment of health hazardous smoke.
Humboldt Bay Fire would like to remind our community to be vigilant about
cooking safety. Never leave your stove on and unattended, even for a few
minutes, as cooking fires can rapidly spread out of control.